Sunday, May 29, 2005

Living and Learning

Well that was a new experience. We were standing in the pub yard drinking to sound of a pleasantly ironic rock band when we started to smell this smell which for all the world reminded me of burnt creme caramel. When it was pointed out that this was highly unlikely, given the rural and rather provincial nature of our surroundings, we started to speculate on other possible causes...burnt onions for a burger seemed quite plausible.

It was only when I got home that it dawned on me that it was actually the heel of my shoe that had caught fire. And in many ways thank goodness for that, since now I will forever know that the smell of burning sugary-type substances is actually a sign that you are incinerating and that you have immovable smoke marks all over your feet.

No comments: